Since 2007 Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier is served in the beer garden in the "Dominikanerhof", the old yard of the adjacent former Dominican Monastery. Today this is the assembly hall of Bamberg university.
History of the monastery
The dominican monastery of Bamberg was founded on May 8th 1310 by king bishop Lavant, who was also a member of this order. Financing was secured through sales of indulgences. In the years 1337 and 1340 the adjacent estates are purchased and the church is enlarged with a chancel. In 1400 the formerly neighbouring court house is moved into the new "island city" (today the pedestrian zone) and the monks use this free space to again expand their monastery; financing is done by private doners. Around 1450 the monastery is reformed and new buildings are set up along the Regnitz river.
In the following decades there are numerous records on reconstructions and repairs, but during the time of the 30 year war (1618-1648) these come to a halt. After the war the monastery enteres a new phase of development: the neighbouring "Haus unter den Störchen" (house of the storks, today part of the first in 1405 mentioned Schlenkerla) is acquired and a bakery and a brewery are installed. Towards todays "Kasernstraße" additional territory is being purchased as well. Around 1740 the new and today still standing convent building with its magnificent dominican library is constructed.
Secularisation marks a turning point in the usage of the buliding complex. From 1803 onwards the Bavarian military uses all rooms of the former monastery, and the remaining monks have to move to Vierzehnheiligen. The church is transformed into an armory and the convent building houses the officers and the gunsmith. Only in 1890 the Dominikanerbau is again used in a more appropriate manner as study church for the New Gymnasium (high school).
After world war I the state of Bavaria leases the "house of storks" to Michael Graser, owner and brewmaster of Schlenkerla, who renovates the historic arched ceiling from the 14th century. The rest of the building complex remains in military use. Aftter world war II the Dominikanerbau becomes the home of the famed Bamberg symphonic orchestra. The convent building receives a new function as state departement building. The former monastery sick bay building, the Dominikanerklause and the "house of the storks" become a permanent part of Schlenkerla. In 1993 the Bamberg symphonic orchestra moves to their new concert hall on the Regnitz river, and the Dominikanerbau becomes the assembly hall of Bamberg university. In 2011 the ceiling of the Dominikanerklause is elaborately restored.