"Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier is not only among beers but among all alcoholic drinks a classic...Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier is the world's most famous smoked beer."
Beerhunter Michael Jackson **** World Classic [Pocket Guide to Beer, pp. 64, 65]:
Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer - Märzen
(the classic Smokebeer as described by Michael Jackson)
- 2016: gold medal at the "World Beer Idol" competition
- Gold medal winner 2015 Australian Beer Awards (silver for Schlenkerla wheat, bronze for Schlenkerla Urbock)
- Silver medal winner at the 2014 Australian Beer Awards (Gold was awarded to Schlenkerla Wheat)
- Gold medal at the 2013 Stockholm beer festival
- Gold medal at the 2012 Stockholm beer festival
- Winner at the 2011 specialties competition of the Nuremberg metropolitan area
- Silver medal winner at the 2010 Australian Beer Awards (Gold was not awarded)
- Silver medal winner at the 2009 BrewNZ Beer Awards
- Schlenkerla Smokebeer voted as "Imported beer of the festival" at CAMRA London Drinker Beer Festival 2009
- silver medal winner at the International Australian Beer Festival 2009 (gold was not awarded)
- gold medal winner at the Stockholm beer festival 2007 and 2008
- listed as unique culinary delight in the October 2006 issue of the Playboy Magazine (USA)
- 2005: Schlenkerla Smokebeer is one of the 30 best culinary specialties in Germany in the magazine "Der Feinschmecker"
- 2005: Ranked amongst the Top 50 beers in the US magazine Men's Health as "weirdest beer of the world".
- Winner in the quality contest Helsinki / Finland in the year 2000
- Gold Award at the "Stockholm Beer Festival" in the year 1999
- Gold Medal at the "World Beer Cup" (USA) in 1996
- CMA Honor Award for 20 years of constant premium quality in the year 2003
- Every year since 1983 the CMA Quality Award.
- Great DLG Award in Gold in the years 1984, 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2012
Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer - Urbock
- 2015: Best winter beer in Finland (Ilta Sanomat)
- 2015: bronze at Australien beer awards (gold for Märzen, silver for Wheat)
- 2014: Amongst best 15 fall beers (www.thrillist.com)
- 2012: Schlenkerla Urbock amongst the 50 best beers in the world
- 2011: Best winter beer at the Helsingin Sanomat
- 2011: Gold medal as one of the 50 best beers in the world
- First prize (Gold) at 2010 Amsterdam Bock Beer Festival
- Best smoked beer in Draft Magazine (February 2009, USA)
- Winner as best Christmas beer 2008 in Helsingin Sanomat (Finland)
- Silver medal at 2008 Amsterdam Bock Beer Festival (Netherlands)
- No. 2 in the 2007 winter beer contest at Helsingin Sanomat (tied with No. 1)
- 2007: Amongst the TOP 3 Christmas Beers at Iltalehti newspaper in Finland
- Best Smoked Bock at the 2007 Amsterdam Bock Beer Festival
- Winner at Helsinki Beer Festival 2007 as best bottom fermented strong beer
- "Joint Winner" at the Cambridge Beer Festival in 2005 (CAMRA)
- 1st Price "Best seasonal beer" at the Turku Beer Fest 2004 (Finland)
- Best Winter-beer in "Ilta Sanomat" in Finland in 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2004
- "Importbeer of the year" in the magazine "The malt advocate" in the USA in 1999
Other Schlenkerla Styles :
- 2016: smoked wheat wins gold medal at Australian beer awards
- 2015: smoked wheat wins silver medal at Australian beer awards
- Schlenkerla lentbeer (Fastenbier): best beer at the 2015 Amsterdam beer festival
- Schlenkerla smoked wheat: Gold medal winner at the 2014 Australian Beer Awards
- 2013: Helles Schlenkerla Lager is rated by Men's journal (USA) as one of the TOP 25 beers
- 2011 - Schlenkerla Smoked Wheat Beer: Best top fermented beer at Helsiniki Beer Festival (Finland)
- Schlenkerla Lager in October 2010: Men's Journal (USA), amongst the 25 best beers in the world
- 2010: Schlenkerla Lentbeer is rated "Lekkerste Bier" (best tasting beer) at the May Bock Festival in Amsterdam, Holland
- 2009: Schlenkerla Smoked Wheat Beer wins silver medal winner at the International Australian Beer Festival (gold was not awarded)
- Schlenkerla Smoked Wheat Beer has the CMA Quality Award since 2004
Rankings and reviews:
- since 2012, www.ratebeer.com: Schlenkerla Lentbeer: best smoked beer in the world
- 2014: Schlenkerla is named "Champion Medium International Brewery" at the Australian Beer Awards 2014.
- Amongst the 3 most popular beers at the Slovenia beer festival 2013
- 2013: Schlenkerla is one of the TOP 3 breweries in Germany and amongst the TOP 100 in the world (www.ratebeer.com)
- USA May 2011 and again July 2012: YourBeerNetwork rates Schlenkerla as one of the TOP 20 beers in the world.
- Norway 02/2011: VG Nett, 6 (out of 6) point specialty beer
- Beer Connoisseur Magazine Dec/Jan 2010/2011: No. 1 of world class beers.
- Beer of the month at www.gottöl.se (May 2010)
- DER FEINSCHMECKER (Germany's No.1 magazine for high class food, beverages and fine living) rates Schlenkerla brew pub as one of the top addresses in Germany 2010
- Winner in the 2009 competition "Historic taverns in Germany"
- rated as on of the world's TOP 5 beers for barbecues by Stephen Beaumont (05/2009)
- Daily Telegraph (UK): One of the Top 10 Beers worldwide (02/2009)
- www.jp.dk: Jytland Posten ****beer (07/2008)
One of the TOP 25 beers world wide. (02/2008)
- "Zeit - Magazin": One of 99 reasons to enjoy Germany (11/2007)
- Recommendation in the "Marco Polo Travel Guide" to Franconia (07/2007)
- www.beerme.com: One of the best beers in the world. "20-Point-Beer" in Beer Hall of Fame. (02/2008)
- www.ratebeer.com: Amongst the best 100 breweries in the world. One of the TOP 10 beers and one of the TOP 3 breweries in Germany. (10/2006)
- www.beeradvocate.com: Best smoked beer world wide and one of the TOP 25 beers in Germany. (12/2006)
- www.beerhunter.com: 4**** world classic (08/2006)
- DER FEINSCHMECKER rates Schlenkerla as one of the TOP 20 brewery pubs in Germany
Great DLG Award (in Gold):
The Great DLG Award is conferred every two years by the "German Association for Agriculture" (Deutsche Landwirtschafts-Gesellschaft e.V.). The different brands of beer are analyzed by the internationally renowned brewery-institutes in Weihenstephan and Berlin. Depending on the quality, the beer then will be awarded with the Great DLG Award in Gold, Silver or Bronze. The Gold Award stands for absolute premium quality. The Great DLG Award is also highly respected outside Germany, above all in the United States and Japan, and serves as a measure of the quality of a beer.
Deutsche Landwirtschafts-Gesellschaft e.V., Eschborner Landstr. 122, D-60489 Frankfurt a. M.
The CMA Quality Award is awarded annually by the "Central
Marketing Association of German Agricultural" (Centrale
Marketing-Gesellschaft der Deutschen Agrarwirtschaft). As
the Great DLG Award, it determines the quality of beer on
the basis of scientifically measurable criteria.
CMA Centrale Marketing-Gesellschaft der deutschen Agrarwirtschaft
Koblenzer Str. 148, 53177 Bonn, www.cma.de
The CMA organization is discontinued after 2009.
To enjoy our Smokebeer in the best of ways,
we have put together some advice for optimal serving.